A ‘hairdressing salon’ is a dish that was invented by a Cape Verdean and is very popular in the Netherlands and Belgium. They call it ‘Kapsalon’ which is the Dutch translation of hairdressing salon. A ‘hair salon’ consists of French fries topped with kebab and light cheese. In addition, salad is added and served with garlic sauce and sambal. Given the ingredients, it is a high-calorie dish. A ‘hair salon’ has around 1,200 – 1,800 calories. To burn this number of calories 2 hours of sports are needed.
How sandwich ‘hairdressing salon’ is invented?
In 2003 the course originated when an owner of the Cape Verdean hairdresser (‘kapsalon’) Tati ordered at a kebab shop a lunch platter of kebab and chips in one dish container. Later there were added also cheese, salad and sauces. Every new order at the barber shop was called standard in the snack bar ‘it is for the salon’. The snack bar staff knew exactly what had to be prepared. Other customers wondered what that “salon” was then. After having tried, they always returned for it. Thus grew the ‘hairdressing salon’ into a well-known dish. The author has the course based on the Cape Verdean one man meal Cachupa.
Recipe ‘hairdressing salon’
A ‘hairdressing salon’ is not only food in the snack bar but you can also easily make it yourself at home.
Ingredients (4 people)
– 800 grams kebab meat
– One kilogram French fries
– 4 to 6 slices (young) aged cheese
– A head of lettuce
– 2 to 3 tomatoes
– Half a cucumber
– Garlic sauce
– Sambal (optional)
Preparation ‘hairdressing salon’
– Turn the fryer pan on and preheat it
– Turn also the oven on and put it on the grill position
– Cut cucumber and tomato slices to your liking
– Also cut the lettuce into small pieces
– Grease the baking dish with a little olive oil
– Bake the kebab meat in a plan with a little oil until it is golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes
– Also bake the fries in the fryer until golden-If the fries are fried put them at the bottom of the baking dish
– Put on top of the chips and the kebab, than cover with light cheese slices until everything is completely covered
– Put the oven at about 200 degrees Celsius and wait until the cheese has melted
– Get the baking dish from the oven and sprinkle with lettuce and some tomato slices
– If you wish you can use garlic and / or sambal sauce