The forgotten island where there is pure tranquility. Secret white beaches, beautiful dunes, small scale and a relaxed atmosphere. You come to Maio to relax. It is a home for endangered animals like the white-tailed eagle and the Caretta Caretta turtle. Maio is not invaded by many tourists, which makes you experience the authentic atmosphere everywhere.
Maio is an old and eroded volcano and is just about 25 kilometers from the island of Santiago from. Many travelers combine a trip to Maio mostly with Santiago. The island is also flat and partly wooded with acacia trees. There are also salt pans in the west of the island.
- Salt Lake Porto Ingles. This fantastic salt lake is five kilometers long and 1.5 kilometers wide, hence this is the biggest salt lake of Cape Verde. Pink, purple and white color salt hills are to be seen. Because of its location in a wetland area, this is also a good place to spot beautiful exotic birds.
- Vila do Maio. The main town of the island with many small colored houses that lead to the harbor. Besides an intimate and authentic atmosphere, there are also a number of nice restaurants to enjoy lunch or dinner.
- Turtles and whales. The Carreta Carreta turtle nests also on Maio. In the winter and spring also Humpback whales pass with their young. A unique experience to see these animals.
- Morro. Morro is located in a palm grove. In the immediate vicinity of Morro you can find the oldest rocks of Cape Verde. For those who are interested in archeology it is a must. The highest rock is almost 300 meters.
- Beaches. On the island everywhere are amazing beaches, some like a dessert and abandoned. Porto Cais is a wonderful and beautiful deserted beach. Other beautiful beaches can be found among others at Ponta Preta, Bitcharocha and Santana. Enough choice.
How to get to Maio?
A flight takes you within 15 minutes from the island Santiago to Maio. If you take this domestic flight we advise you take to check before departure if the flight has not been moved to a different time. For all flight information please check out our page about domestic and international flights to Cape Verde. From the airport of Maio it is only a few kilometers to the town center.
You also can take the ferry to get to Maio. Departures are not always guaranteed, so take this into account when making your planning.